Castles and Castle Ruins: Castle Ruins

Lomnice nad Popelkou

Lomnice nad Popelkou, 512 51

The first mention of the construction dates back to the 14th century. In 1442, it was conquered by the neighbouring gentry when its Hussite garrison gave up; in 1462 and onwards, the castle is mentioned as deserted.

The preserved part of the former castle is an irregular oval fort with remnants of walls along its perimeter, and an entrance in the underground corridor closed with an iron gate – obviously it was a water reservoir. The castle used to be protected by a steep slope from the west and fortified with a large ditch and a wall from the other sides (doubled to the south).

Locality: 2 km to the southwest from Lomnice nad Popelkou.

Related Record

Login