Castles and Castle Ruins: Castle Ruins

Jilove u Drzkova

Jílové u Držkova, 468 22

The remnants of the once nearly unconquerable castle named Návarov are found on the rock extension above the confluence of the Kamenice River and the Zlatník Brook.

The castle was founded in the second half of the 14th century; however, there are no reliable sources to identify the founder. Under the rule of King Jiří of Poděbrady, for a short time the castle was in his possession. In 1469 it was - at that time owned by the family of Zajíc of Házmburk - besieged and conquered by royal troops. Another occupation, this time by Swedish soldiers, came during the Thirty Years War. The fact that the victorious Swedish operating from the occupied Návarov were causing a lot of damage in the surrounding areas made the Emperor Ferdinand III send his troops, conquer the castle and destroy it - which was in 1644.

Although the history of Návarov as a fortified residence was brought to its end, the proprietary rights were often transferred. The domain was successively owned by members of important noble families of Smiřický, Valdštejn and Lamotte.

The dilapidated building became the source of material for construction of a new construction in the Baroque style. The basic core of the castle consists of two - still visible - complex structures that are divided by two ditches in the front part of the castle premises, fortified with a face wall with with two semi-circular bastions.

The valley of the Kamenice River and the ruin of the Návarov are made accessible from the red trail (Palackého Stezka) marked from Podspálov to Tanvald.

Locality: 7 km to the northeast from Železný Brod, not far from Jílové u Držkova. The castle is open for free.

Login