Church of Mary Magdalene, Sobotka

Sacrial Monuments: Church

Sobotka

Sobotka, 507 43

The dean\\\\\'s Church of Mary Magdalene was built on the site of an older wooden shrine in the years 1590-1596. The original wooden parish church stood in Sobotka already in the 14th century. In the years 1590-96, the new Church of Mary Magdalene was built in its place in the Late Gothic style. The construction was financed by the owner of the estate, Oldřich Felix of Lobkovice, who gave the church a silver Late Gothic monstrance and an illuminated gradual, a richly decorated book of liturgical songs.

In the second half of the 19th century the chapel was demolished and the tower was lowered. The interior of the church is in the Late Baroque style. On the main altar there is a painting of St. Mary Magdalene, on its sides there are sculptures of St. Wenceslaus and St. Anna. The interior of the church is also decorated by a pulpit with sculptures of the four Evangelists, Christ Victorious and a relief of the Last Judgement. The Rococo organ from 1748 with rich figural decoration is still functional.


Login