In the Footsteps of Albrecht von Wallenstein

Albrecht von Wallenstein is one of this region\\\'s most outstanding figures. This mighty lord of the Frýdlant dominion left ineffaceable prints in this region and built copious important buildings.

The Bohemian Paradise Association has prepared a tour entitled In the Footsteps of Albrecht von Wallenstein, which will guide you around towns, castles and chateaus that are related to this figure. Brochures and maps with detailed information are available in all these places. If you set off to track Albrecht von Wallenstein and collect six stamps from subjects participating in the project, you will receive Albrecht's coin.

Places participating in the project In the Footsteps of Albrecht von Wallenstein in our region:

Mnichovo Hradiště
The former Capuchins' monastery conceals the tomb of Albrecht Vaclav Eusebius von Wallenstein. In 1784 Vincenc von Wallenstein had the remains of the Duke of Frýdlant and his wife transported from the Carthusian monastery in Valdice, which had been cancelled by Joseph II, to the local St. Ann's Chapel.

Bezděz
Originally a royal castle built by Přemysl Otokar II in the late 13th century. Wallenstein acquired the castle in 1622. He began to fortify it as the key stronghold to guard the south-west of his dominion. He abandoned this plan after his military achievements and moved the Augustinian monastery from Bělá to this castle. He prepared the donation of the monastery of the Montserrat Benedictines.

Česká Lípa
Wallenstein acquired the confiscated dominion of Česká Lípa in 1623 and shortly afterwards founded an Augustinian convent with a grammar school at the All Saints' Church. He also strove to restore the Cistercians' provost's office at the Chapel of St. Mary Magdalene. He considered the town an important residence on the western border of the Frýdlant dominion.

Lemberk
Lemberk, an early medieval castle built in the mid-13th century to protect the regional road connecting Bohemia and Lusatia. It was founded by the Markvartics, an ancient aristocratic family, ancestors of the Wallensteins. The name of the castle – Löwenberg – accounts for the lioness on the Markvartics's as well as Wallensteins' coats of arms. Albrecht von Wallenstein acquired this age-old family residence as a confiscate and later awarded it as a fief.

Grabštejn
One of north Bohemia's oldest castles which used to protect the valley of Nisa with the road to Bohemia. Wallenstein acquired this important regional strategic point as confiscated property and rendered it to Count Maximilian von Wallenstein in 1633.

Žitava
Žitava with the observation gallery on the tower of St. John's Church (Johanniskirche) is the ideal place for viewing the (Catholic) Frýdlant dukedom from the outside, from Protestant political territory. This tower overlooks the northern border of the dukedom lined with mountains and allows one to realise the importance of the position of Grabštejn and Frýdlant on access roads.

Frýdlant
This castle built in the middle of the 13th century was acquired by Albrecht von Wallenstein after 1620 and became the foundation of Wallenstein's principality and later dukedom. However, Wallenstein did not reside in Frýdlant very often as he chose Jičín for his seat. Nevertheless, Frýdlant was an important stronghold in the north and that is why he had it properly fortified by Giovanni Pieroni, a fortification designer.

Hejnice
The convent chapel of the Visitation of the Blessed Virgin Mary houses Wallenstein's field altar.

Liberec
The contemporary important industrial town was originally a village, then, until the middle of the fifteenth century a small town, with a tradition of cloth manufacturing. Under the rule of Albrecht von Wallenstein this small town experienced a boom in 1630 and became an important production and commercial centre. The short-lived Frýdlant dukedom was immensely significant for Liberec, whose history contains several periods of rapid development.

Turnov
Its location predestined Turnov for the role of a crossing of important roads. When travelling from Frýdlant, one can continue to Jičín and further on towards Vienna, or turn and follow the course of the Jizera River to the heartlands of Bohemia and Prague. The town was also an important production and commercial centre. Turnov has been well-known for grinding gemstones since the Middle Ages.

The Castle of Valdštejn
Wood stone - Wald-stein - is an apt name for a castle built on a huge block of sandstone rock. The original seat of the Wallenstein family was built in the late 13th century, but later changed hands. Albrecht von Wallenstein acquired it from the Smiřický family, having appealed to his kinship with the Smiřický family and having become the guardian of the weak-minded Jindřich Smiřický, the last male member of the family.

Hrubá Skála
Originally a castle built on the platform formed by two huge boulders. By Wallenstein's time it had already been converted into a chateau by the Smiřický family. Wallenstein viewed Skála as a place with a significant position, which is proved by the fact that he decided to place his archive there.

Valdice
The building of the Carthusian monastery in Valdice began in 1627 under the supervision of Italian architects Andrea Spezza and Giovanni Pieroni. It was also designed as Wallenstein's tomb. After the monastery was shut down by Joseph II, the duke's remains were taken away and the monastery was converted into a prison.

Libosad
At the end of a nearly four-kilometre and four-lane alley leading from Jičín, one will find a complex of a court of honour and sala terrena, called a loggia. This suburban amusement park of Wallenstein was designed at the point of intersection of landscape lines connecting the hill of Veliš, the Carthusian monastery in Valdice and the axis of the Loggia park, the so-called Libosad. This building, like others in Jičín, has never been completed.

Jičín
This town founded at the end of the 13th century became the property of Albrecht von Wallenstein, like other properties of the Smiřický family. It became the administrational centre of the Frýdlant dukedom, where Wallenstein established his residence, built a palace with the adjacent provost's church of St. James, Jesuit college, seminar and grammar school as well as the new town with a new church, the present Virgin Mary de Sales Church.

Staré Hrady
Gothic-style castle bearing the handwriting of Petr Parléř's foundry, with a later extension of a Renaissance-style chateau and a manor house; a unique Renaissance-style complex with preserved figural sgraffiti. Albrecht von Wallenstein purchased the chateau in 1628. He administrated this dominion through his nephew.

For more information go to www.turnov.cz or www.cesky-raj.info.

Login Cookies