Drábské světničky

Rock fortress.
Mnichovo Hradiště.

The rock castle of Drábské světničky is situated on the edge of a sandstone plateau near the western limit of Příhrazy Rocks Cliffs. It lies close to the former early medieval fortification of Hrada and the ruins of the Klamorna Castle, being the best preserved of the three objects. Cliff faces and rock pillars of Drábské světničky are formed by the Hrubá Skála sandstones of the Teplice Formation. The edge of the plateau is locally dissected by joints, forming separate rock pillars. Intensive deep-reaching weathering proceeded along the joints. Instability of the plateau edge is also contributed by the footwall rock: soft calcareous claystones prone to landsliding. The castle is a medieval fortress built on the northwestern edge of the high plateau called Hrada, 86 to 141 m above the Jizera River, then surrounded by vast marshes. The construction made perfect use of rock morphology and the system of blocks, joints and chimneys to enhance the strength of the castle. Seven sandstone blocks were used to create a perfect assemblage of rooms cut in the local easily workable sandstone, and timbered constructions fixed to the rock surface by pits and cuttings. Ceramic remains and other finds provide evidence of the first continuous settlement of the Hrada Plateau in the late Stone Age and then intermittently until mid 15th century. The fortifications of Drábské světničky were constructed after 1430, when Hussite sheriffs started to build their permanent settlement here and also started to strive for control over the long-distance trail from Lusatia to Prague, leading along the Jizera River valley beneath the Hrada Plateau. The Drábské světničky fortress is now accessed through a walking scenic trail with staircases and bridges.


Fotogalerie

15_Drabske svetnicky foto1 Ludek Antos

15_Drabske svetnicky foto1 Ludek Antos

 
15_Drabske svetnicky foto2 Ludek Antos

15_Drabske svetnicky foto2 Ludek Antos

 
 
Login Cookies